Thursday, April 23, 2009

Update, and the trip to NYC

So, it's been an interesting week. Very short, as Feature Writing cancelled both times this week. I have no idea what is going on with the feature stories , but I worked hard on thye, and finished five stories.

It is Springfest this week here on campus, which means a lovely assortment of fun events for us to go to at no charge. The New York trip was part of springfest, and senior trip. There is also free crafts, carnival, and shows. It's fun.
So...

The Trip:

We awoke very early, at about 4:30, to ready ourselves for the trip. Matt and I headed out towards the campus center by 5:30, as Traveler needed a break before we boarded the bus. The buses were nice! I've never taken a coach bus anywhere. We has a seat in the back with lots of room for Traveler to spread out.

We left at 6AM. The buses had TV's with a DVD player, so the girls from PC played movies. The volume was pretty loud, more than we would have liked. About halfway through the trip (and conveniently after the first movie ended) we stopped at a McDonalds somewhere for a break and breakfast. Got a breakfast sandwich and a shake, tasty stuff. :)

The second movie was even louder, I tried to tune it out with iPod, unsuccessful on that venture. We arrived in the city at around 10:45, they let us out on 42nd street. Matt and I took off for Times Square, which was just around the corner, and here's what greeted us:




We walked around, just to get our bearings, and headed towards 49th street, to fi8nd Rockafeller Center, and NBC studios to purchase our tour tickets.



A fountain near Rockafeller Center.

It took us awhile to find, but once we did, we went in and purchased tickets. Our tour was at 1:15, so we had some time to kill. We browsed through the NBC store, then made our way back to Times Square to find that gift shop Doug found for me in January. I remembred what a nice store it was, so I wanted to go back.



It started to rain....just as we found the store. I was pleased that we'd found it, so we made our way in. Just inside the door, a man stopped me, and said "no dogs, you have to leave." Unbelievable...I make it a point to find the same store, and work hard finding it...after all that? I tried to explain it was a guide dog, and I was legally allowed to bring him in, but they still tried to get me to leave. So, I walked out the door, stunned, upset, and very angry. I was frustrated almost to tears, and a few other patrons noticed and thought it was terrible. I was right about to call GDF, or someone...when I realized I had the plastic bag with the address of the store on it from January. I'd brought it just in case. I pulled it out, marched in with it, and showed him, saying: "See this? You let me in here before, with this dog. Why am I not good enough now?" After that, he went to the boss, and said I was okay..."this time." So, since I wanted to make a point, I stayed in that store a good long while, taking my time, and looking at EVERYTHING in the store.



After this fiasco, it was time for the NBC tour, I was just mentally wiped out by them, honestly ready to go home. The rain was getting heavier, so the time inside for the tour was welcomed. It was a very nice tour, and NBC made it a point to have someone be a personal escort for me, it was really classy of them..I plan on writing a letter thanking them for that. The tour was great, we saw The Today Show studio, SNL studio, and some other nifty things. :) it was great.

After the tour, we stopped at Planet Hollywood for lunch. We were soaked walking in there, as it was pouring. Lunch was delicious, we both had chicken crunch and fries. The staff was very friendly, and the atmosphere was fantastic.


The view from our seats. Notice the movie props everywhere.


Costumes, props, and the musical staircase from the movie "Big." Love that movie.

After lunch, we walked about in Times Square, went to a few stores, M&Ms world (a three storey M&Ms store) Hershey's store, and such. By this time we both had headaches, at it was close to time to meet the bus, so we headed back to 42nd street, to break the pup and go to a smoothie store Jamba Juice that Matt wanted to go to. After the gift shop, I was a little nervous about being rejected in the smoothie shop, and for good reason. When I reached the counter to ask what was on the menu, I hear "Get that dog outta here!" from the back. The guy at the counter then asked me if I was blind, I said yes I was , and he was a guide dog. This was the lastr straw, and I said to Matt, "I should have bet you money that they were going to do that." In all honesty, he wasn't helpful at all through any of it, and tried to act like he didn't know me or something when I was at the first store that did it. So I don't know. Almost got hit by a truck too, because he told me to cross and it wasn't safe.

After the smoothies, we got back on the bus, and started on the long trip home. We stopped at McDonalds in Milford CT. The buses returned to campus at 11:15.

So overall it was a productive trip, some ups and downs...I got some nice things for my parents. I don't know if I would go again any time soon, and next time I go, it should be with people I trust, to be less difficult.

Saturday is the springfest Carnival, so that should be nice. I am going to the city tomorrow, to get a break from campus. Looking forward to graduating. And I might be able to get an internship right in my hometown.... :) we shall see

No comments: