Sunday, January 18, 2009

Friday: these boots were made for walkin'

Friday morning we awoke to some VERY cold conditions: 15 degrees with wind. The other training class headed out to the mall, while we headed back to the horse shoe for more practice. This route was to be our first night walk, so we had to become familiar with it. It was bitter cold and the ice and snow were getting under doggy toes, causing alot of limping and flipping about. Traveler was disgusted by this, and at one point threw a tantrum into the snow! We were getting boots for them in the afternoon so it was a relief knowing he didn't have to stay cold, the poor pup!

I got Morgan's package around mid day; some of her homemade goodies and a book titled "Bad Dogs Have More Fun" This is another treat from John Grogan.
Jenny served at lunch, where we had an awesome pasta dish, with a cream sauce and cheese and garlic bread. The new chef Kevin has really been spoiling us! It was so nice to see Jenny again, we got to chat a little before I headed off to buy a new GDF sweatshirt and get ready for the afternoon.

After lunch we met up with Valerie, the trainer providing us with Ruff Wear boots to protect the dogs' feet. Most dogs tolerated them going on, though flipped about a little while walking around (Doug calls this "hot feet"). We then loaded into the van and headed back to the horse shoe, to try these boots in the snow.

What a sight we must have been during the first lap of this walk! The dogs did not show much fondness towards the new footwear, and let us know it. When I set out, I had to stop practically every five feet to get him to stay calm. I felt so bad for him, and thought seriously about going back to the van, though the flashbacks of this morning's sore salty paws kept me trying. By the first half of the lap he was doing well. By the second lap it was almost as though the boots had vanished, as he accepted them pretty well. I was so proud, and glad he didn't have to worry aobut sore cold paws.

After dinner there was the infamous grooming lecture, being taught by the infamous Mark! I knew we were in for a treat and Mark did not disappoint, as he rarely does. the whole thing was funny and informative, and I also found out that he loves the Zoom Groom. He let me groom him for a good 20 minutes with it, I am so pleased!

No comments: