Thursday, January 22, 2009

Wednesday: a big day in a very big city!

Our group awoke today at 5am. I forgot to set my alarm before bed, so it's a good thing that the night nurse came around knocking. The dogs were fed, watered, and taken outside by 5:30, then we all loaded into the van. Valerie was there to accompany us in the city that day. We had yogurt on the way to Hicksville to catch a rush hour train straight to Penn Station. While waiting at the station, we learned how great it is to travel with Valerie. She took care of the tickets, picked out the best train to take, and timed everything out. We also found out that she would be giving us bathroom cleanliness critiques before we used them. It's lovely travelling with a female trainer! :)
We arrived in Penn around 7:30, and fought our way through the crowds in the station to the street. Now as I understand it, Penn station is around 33rd street. We set out towards Times Square (42nd street) amongst the crowds of commuters and city goers. Times square was unmistakable, and everything I thought it would be. Stunning lights everywhere, and screens twenty stories high! Doug was wonderful; he pointed out things and helped me take some pictures, including the building where they drop the ball on New Years, the studio for David Letterman, and the Good Morning America studio. It was incredible, and so realistic, as there were people, dogs and traffic everywhere. After walking a few blocks, we doubled back and stopped at a cafe to warm up and have a coffee. I had a fabulous chai latte. Times Square was just wonderful, I want to go back there someday for sure.

Our next task was to make our way towards Columbus Circle ( i think that's the name) to get to Central Park. Initially Valerie was planning on getting us on a shuttle train, but we ended up walking to practice crowds. We stopped at the GAP, since a certain trainer forgot his sweater. :) it was VERY cold and windy the whole way through, but walking helped. Once we made it to Central Park, we walked through it a little ways, had a few dog distractions, and went back to the street. We stopped at two museums, including the Museum of Natural History. Not sure what the other was. At the museum we found a bus station (the tickets and plan miraculously provided by Valerie) and headed back to Times Square. On the way, Doug brought me into a store, where I got a few postcards and a keychain. Then we walked a few blocks to find a place for lunch. We decided on Hard Rock cafe, and had a relaxing lunch there. Another realistic experience, the place was crowded, and there was even a birthday, so lots of people were cheering and singing. The dogs were great!

After lunch we began heading back to Penn. This walk was the most impressive I have had with this dog by far. Usually I can see blurry shadows outside, but occasionally even that goes away entirely, and it happened on teh way to Penn. He knew it too, and responded in a way that I almost can't explain. He weaved and dodged through the crowds, across street crossings, and I followed. He usually does this, but its almost as if he can tell that my vision varies every walk. We really were working like a team, it was beautiful. I've never experienced anything like this, and it made me proud, and humbled me; I am so incredibly lucky to be working with this dog. I don't have to be afraid that he will make me trip over a curb. I really feel safe with him. It's so comforting to travel and not feel vulnerable and alone. Even though I do have some vision I am still legally blind, and working with a guide makes me feel safer and more confident than I can express.

We waited a little while for our train, and took it back to Hicksville. We arrived back at the Foundation earlier than Tuesday afternoon. We were all exhausted. Valerie helped us wash our salty coats, and I was sure to let her know how nice it was to have a woman around for the trip. Lecture was quick, and afterwards I did laundry and watched a little bit of TV with a classmate. A wonderful day overall, and I still can't believe I am lucky enough to be bringing this dog home with me.

No comments: