Sunday, February 15, 2009

Friday: Day 1 of "home training"

I woke up early this morning to get ready for Doug to arrive. He ended up getting here just before9, and walked up to the building. We were going to do a walk to Boyden so I could drop off some papers, then head to the train do head into Boston. Traveler was quite excited to see him, which is just so cute. The whole walk he kept glancing back to make sure he was still with us.

The paperwork was more of a project than I thought. I was dropping off the paper to be a notetaker, but several other forms needed to be filled out, including tax forms, which is riduculous since it's just one small check. Anyway, after this we went to the ATM, made a quick trip back to the dorm, and practiced an off curb on the way to the train station.

At the station we encountered a friend who lives nearby with a lab golden guide dog from Seeing Eye. We chatted until the train arrived. It was nice to have company on the train, as it doesn't happen too often. When we got into Boston, we made our way downstairs towards the Red line. Doug stopped to get a ticket, and we were off. We switched over to the Green line at Park Street to head to Fanuel Hall. Traveler was just amazing; he followed all of my commands, and didn't startle when he saw the loud green line trains. It was great!

At Fanuel Hall, we strolled around the outside of the buildings, made a couple stops, and walked through the main building. We stopped at a little shop hoping for a Red Sox tag for the pup's collar, but no luck. While we were in another store, Janice from GDF called to check on Traveler's health situation. She let me know that in December he was on a special type of Hill's Science Diet to control his weight, but aside from that his health record is really good. They are going to contact our vet here, and Dr. Cavallo, to work with the situation. I am glad to hear that they are going to stay involved with this; it's nice to know I'm not alone.

After the stroll around the Market we made our way back to the underground, and did a little platform work. We boarded the next Lechmere train and made our way to the Mall. We went through the mall to Best Buy, where I got a copy of the movie Twister. It was a little expensice, though I later found out it is a special edition, which is cool. After this we headed to the food court and had lunch. We chatted about this and that for awhile, before heading back to the subway, and eventually to South Station. Doug commented that people in Boston are less considerate about the guide dog than those in New York, which is ironic. Most people talk about how abrasive New Yorkers are, though apparantly Bostonians are just as bad. Doesn't bother me one bit though. :)

After the train trip we ran into Karen and her dog again, and ended up following them down the platform. At the top of the street, we parted ways, and agreed to meet in the city again the next afternoon for more work. He said we were doing great just before he left, and he still thinks its a great match, I definitely agree. So that was awesome. :)

After such an eventful day I was WIPED! Matt came over at 7ish and we watched Twister, which was alot of fun. Karen called in the middle of the movie, and when I called her afterwards, we decided to make plans to meet for breakfast in the morning around Park Street. This meant another early morning but I was glad to have the chance to see her and Dusty. I didn't want to spend the first half of Valentine's day sitting around my room. So It was somewhat of an early night in anticipation for the next day.

No comments: