Sunday, February 15, 2009

Thursday: unreal

Wednesday night he had a gland thing happen again, only it was bloody. I knew Doug was coming Thursday afternoon, so it gave me a little bit of hope about it. I barely slept overnight, between that and just not feeling well. Well at about eight in the morning Doug called and had hurt his back so he had to stay in for the day. The pup just didn't seem like his normal self so I began callling GDF and the vet office after breakfast. By 11, I still hadn't heard from ANYONE and was starting to get worried about taking him to class. And I also felt just terrible, and exhausted.

Anyway, just as i headed to class, Traveler's vet gave a call back. When I explained what was going on, he urged me to bring him in. The only problem, yet again, is worrying about how to get there. I was beyond stressed by the time I arrived to class, and a group member noticed and encouraged me to talk to the professor. Well, when I did, it all just kind of spilled out. When she heard I needed to get to the vet, she decided to take me. She basicaly insisted on this, so after class ended, we loaded into her SUV and drove to the vet in the next town. She and I chatted in the waiting room, about all kinds of things, and I started to feel a bit calmer. She refused to take gas money, but said that we would grab a bite after the appointment. So I felt a little better just as the vet tech came out to get us.

We went into the exam room and after a few minutes Doctor Gray came in, and started the exam. He started to do an expression, but stopped, whispered something to the nurse, then said: "I'm going to take Traveler in the back and have another doctor take a look at him. He seems to have a mass back here." Then he took him, and I was left in an empty room. I started to panic: a mass??? Remembering losing Sammie and Ashley a few years back, both from "a mass" I started to panic. I don't want to lose this dog too.

After what seemed like an eternity Gray came back, and tole me I didn't have to worry, the mass is just the opening of his glands. They were swollen. He recommened that we add Pumpkin to the pup's diet, and see where to go from there. He said that a diet adjustment might remedy the issue, though in a worst case scenario, he would need surgery to have them removed. But he promised to work with me and try to figure it out. So I left the office with a plan of action, though no real answer as to what is going on.

After the appoinment, we headed next door to Chili's. By this point the day had just been so insane. Having a professor take me to the vet was unusual, going to lunch after was just unreal. But it was relaxing and took my mind off everything. We talked about all sorts of things, and it was nice to get to know her better. I was so grateful for everything, I must have said it fifty times.

Once I got back to the dorm, I called Doug to let him know about everything, and set out for the supermarket to get canned pumpkin and carrots for the pup. Once we returned I made him is special meal, and he attacked it with amazing enthusiasm! He loves pumpkin, apparantly. After everything I just tried to relax, since Doug was coming early the next morning to do our training here, and in the city.

What a day!

No comments: