Happy Thanksgiving!
So, the past few days/nights at home have been very busy, but I just HAD to get a post in. :)
Tuesday night:
We arrived home, had a chicken dinner and headed out to Stop and Shop for a few last minute things. Just Mom and I, which was pretty nice, considering we don't get much time together these days. I had to pick up the ingredients for my dishes, which were:
- Broccoli casserole (per request of Mom)
- Garlic dill dip (as tradition)
- Stuffed mushrooms (cause they're yummy)
The stores weren't too bad, though I must say this little town is catching up to technology. The S & S has electric scanner things that you can pick up at the front of the store, and scan your items as you go, get special discount/coupons, and these also make checkout a breeze! This was a fun way to shop.
Wednesday:
I woke up, and soon realized that I forgot my camera at school. :( I made a shake, and played a game of Scrabble with Laura, while Nicole and Dad prepped some side dishes for Thursday's meal. Morgan arrived with little Ms. Charlie in the afternoon. It was great to see Morgan again! Her family is usually pretty desperate to see her, though somehow I managed a visit with her. Charlie and Franklyn ran about the yard, chasing each other and making doggy mischief. At one point, Charlie wanted a toy on top of an old plastic table up against the house, so she JUMPED UP to get it....as in....standing ON the table! It was hilarious. Morgan corrected the situation quickly, and the pups returned to running about. Molly (our pet dog, a lab boxer mix) got in some play as well. After the free run, and some cool down time in the house, we harnessed up the dogs and took a walk. The dogs did well! It was great to spend time with them.
Wednesday night:
After a dinner cooked by my sister, mom and I did a little cooking. She made two apple pies (her specialty) while I prepared my mushroom stuffing and dips. Laura stuck around the kitchen with us. While cooking, I gave Franklyn a bit of freedom, let her off leash in the kitchen, and she did pretty well. She was mostly interested in watching the progression of everything, inbetween spells of playing with all of Molly's toys. After the cooking, and Franklyn's last break, we all pretty much went to bed.
Today:
Thanksgiving! I woke up at about 8, took a shower and had a breakfast shake, before the Macy's day parade. The family decided not to head out to the football game, it was just too cold for all that. :) so we stayed nice and warm and mom made cinnamin buns (my cousin Kristy's famous recipe). Everyone encouraged that I let Franklyn off leash again ( I had her by my side) so I did, and kept an eye on her throughout the morning. Towards noon time, we broke out dip, and I baked the mushrooms, which everyone loved (they're so nice! though they did come out good this time). We also watched the National Dog Show...in between calling family and friends. I love holidays. :)
As we started cooking the main meal Mike arrived. Dinner was around 4, and everyone seemed to enjoy it! Everyone had their "signature" dish they made, which made it fun. This was the first year where everyone really pitched in, and it was nice. Desert was a few hours later, and Mike went home around six. All in all, a nice Thanksgiving.
...and now the Franklyn story of the day...
As I was making the broccoli casserole, Franklyn was laying at my feet chomping away at the Nylabone. Well somehow without me noticing, she got up, and Molly took her place laying in the same spot! The dogs are the same size, so telling them apart can get tricky for me. Mom was buzzing about in and out of our *spare room* off the kitchen. Well....one of these times, Franklyn followed her in there (this room fascinates her, as its where the dog food is kept, among other things), and Mom closed the door after she left, locking her in there. A few minutes later, I reached down to check on who I thought was my guide dog...and realized i'd been fooled!
Me: "Mom, where did Franklyn go?"
Mom: "Isn't she right there with you?"
Me: "No...." As I begin looking around the house, calling her name. After a few minutes I realize the spare room door is closed. "Did anyone go into the spare room?"
Mom: "I did a few minutes ago. Maybe she got in there and.....OH NO!! The PIES!!!!"
Me: "WHAT??? What PIES???"
We rush into the room, and.....sure enough, Franklyn's snout is BURIED right in the middle of an APPLE PIE! She must have found it while exploring the room, it wasn't totally gone, but she had eaten most of the sugary crumb topping off, and had sampled some of the apples underneath.
Now I can't figure this out...Mom took these two freshly baked pies, and placed them in this room to cool. She put them...of ALL places... uncovered, on top of a cooler, at dog nose level, in a house with two young crazy dogs. Granted, as a guide dog, Franklyn should have better manner than Molly, but she doesn't. We have been in this house long enough for her to have good manners, but we already know how that stands.
Needless to say, my family now understands why I do what i do with her. She has to earn her freedom.
Lucky for us, mom baked two apple pies, and Franklyn got ahold of the smaller one. Initially, everyone was a little stunned, but now everyone thinks its funny. I'm worried about how her stomach will react. I've been watching her closely, taking her busy often. This hasn't slowed her down a bit. She is in her crate now, happily snoring away with her head resting on the Nylabone as if it were a pillow. This dog reminds me of Marley!
* and by the way!* the movie is coming to theaters on Christmas Day, and it looks to be a good one, more like the book than I would have expected.
Tomorrow, Mom and I are escaping early to take advantage of sales for Christmas shopping! Not getting up at 4am or anything, but by 8 possibly. Secret operation! No one but her and I are coming. As far as Christmas goes, Dad announced that for the adults, everyone but Laura, we are to limit it to one 20 dollar gift for each perosn. Takes the pressure off, taht way we (he) can just enjoy the day without worrying about money. I'm not worried, honestly, just want to show everyone I care and so forth. Making some gifts at the ceramic place near school! People around here like the handmade, thoughtful sort of gifts, as much as I like creating something that fits each person!
This was a long one...must be getting off to bed though. Early morning!
No comments:
Post a Comment